Born in France (1974), Tijana Pakić, a French-Serbian photographer, grew up and went to school in former Yugoslavia before returning to her city of birth in 2005, Paris, where she currently resides.
Tijana discovered photography on her journey to self identity and independence from her twin sister, yet she continues to involve her sister in her projects. The similarities and differences between the countries that formed her, Yugoslavia, Serbia and France, are also clearly visible in her works. Primarily focusing on portrait photography by carefully choosing different strategies, such as staged photography, appropriation, classic studio portraits or documentary photography, Tijana manages to unveil deeper themes such as the subconscious, genetics, today’s youth, heritage, as well as to illustrate the humanity of her chosen subjects.
After graduating with a BA from the Academy of Art BK (2001) in Belgrade, Serbia, Tijana remained at the academy for another 2 years to work as a TA teacher’s assistant at the photography department. Upon returning to Paris, she continued to work as a professional photographer, also getting involved with the music industry.
Tijana’s works have been selected by the International Center of Photography in New York and the National Centre of Contemporary Art in Moscow; her portfolio Čarolije (Magic) was shortlisted by Urbanautica Institute Award 2020. She has exhibited in group and solo exhibitions in Serbia, Slovenia, France, Russia, Austria, United States and Denmark.
Selected solo and group exhibitions:
- 2023. In the Image and the Dissimilarity, Apollonia Venue, Strasbourg, France
- 2022. Presence, PhMuseum Lab, Bologna, Italy
- 2021. Autumn Exhibition The State of Exception, Association of Fine Artists of Serbia (ULUS) Cvijeta Zuzorić Art Pavilion, Belgrade, Serbia
- 2021. Bliskost i razlike, Remont gallery, Belgrade, Serbia
- 2020. # ICPConcerned: Global Images for Global Crisis, International Center of Photography, New York, USA
- 2018. Japon, solo exhibition, Bellevilloise, Paris, France
- 2015. Mise au point – L’art à travers l’objectif, Centre culturel de Serbie, Paris, France
- 2010. New Serbian Photography, Simuleker Gallery, Novo Mesto, Slovenia
- 2010. Festival Voies Off, evening projection, Arles, France
- 2010. Days of photography, Regional museum Jagodina, Jagodina, Serbia
- 2009. Čarolije (Magic), solo exhibition, Bellevilloise, Paris
- 2009. Čarolije (Magic), solo exhibition, DOB Dom omladine gallery, Belgrade
- 2008. In Transition Russia, Moscow, National Centre for Contemporary Art (NCCA) in Russia
- 2008. Jeune création, la grande Halle de la Villette, Paris
- 2007. Terre de promesses, serbian contemporary photography, Espace Apollonia, Strasbourg, France
- 2005. Belgrad, Aktuelle Fotografie aus Serbien, Fotohof Gallery, Salzburg, Austria
- 2004. Retrospective group show 1995-2004, DOB gallery, Serbia
- 2004. Studies of diligence, Cultural center of Belgrade, Belgrade, Serbia
- 2004. Untitled, solo exhibition, Gallery SKC, Kragujevac, Serbia
- 2003. Open the Window, Artget gallery, Belgrade, Serbia
- 2003. Untitled, solo exhibition, DOB Dom Omladine gallery, Belgrade, Serbia
- 2003. Srbija, Srbija, Shambala gallery, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 2003. New Flavour, Photo gallery 063, Belgrade, Serbia
- 2001. Model of life, within Months of Photography, gallery of the University of Fine Art, Belgrade, Serbia
- 1998. New F, Museum of Contemporary Art, Belgrade, Serbia
- 1997. Slobodno, Happy gallery SKC, Belgrade, Serbia
- 1996. Slobodno na početku, Happy gallery SKC, Belgrade, Serbia